Monday, January 5, 2009

Men and their toys....

Hello All,
Welcome to my first official post of the new year. I am very enthused about the things to be in the coming months. Please check back often as I have lots to share.

You might be thinking the title of this posting is a bit odd for a photography blog.

Maybe.

I'll try to explain.

This post is actually about moving forward, something very important to my situation. We live in rapidly changing times. That indicates to me a need to change and grow in order to thrive. I recently visited a friend's new apartment. This is a first for him; living on his own, earning his own keep in the world so to speak. I know many of us can relate to that feeling of "ownership." Being able to call all the shots in your space, moving things around without resistance, eating straight from the fridge, being as loud or as quiet as you want to be for as long as you want to be... ahh the good times. That strange mix of exhilaration and trepidation is priceless. Right now you could push him over with a feather! It's also a time of heightened responsibility. But growth rarely comes without some type of challenge. Reality will set in one day, but for now he is loving every minute and I am watching with equal parts pride and shared excitement.

As I walked through his new space I came across this image:

Sure just a little something to make the space his own, a reminder that it is his to create in and personalize as he sees fit.

A toy? No a declaration!

I cannot wait to experience that high of ownership again. I am focusing all my efforts on getting the studio open as quickly as possible. The next few months will be lean and strictly business. But at the same time the most exhilarating and most fun I've ever had. My friend gave me a gift, one he knew I would love and keep. This gift will grow with me and help me get through the stressful times. It will give me something to focus on in those times when I am doubtful or anxious. It will give me something to play with when I am at my wits end trying to work my way out of the seemingly impossible situations that lie ahead. This gift is incredibly expensive, but he got it for nearly nothing and for that I am proud of him. He knew the value and immediately pounced on the opportunity. I took a picture:



I bet you thought the picture was of the gift he gave me.

It is, and it is fantastic! But that's not the gift I was describing. The gift he gave me was the gift of a renewed sense of hope, inspired by his taking action in uncertain times. These are the times we live in. If you are not experiencing it now, give it a minute. You will, or someone close to you will. Never lose hope. It is what you can lean on through the daily grind. I'm renewing my efforts to live the life of my dreams and I will gladly open my journey to all of you.

Yes, we men and women have our toys. They remind us that life is our playground.

DBW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

D..... "Write the vision, and make it plain on tables, that he may run that reads it." Run to your destiny, but make sure that your steps are ordered.